Thursday, July 14, 2011

Snape, Snape. Severus Snape...

DUMBLEDORE!


Tonight is the night... at 12:01 am Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 will arrive in theaters!  After 14 years of books and films, this part of my childhood has come to an end.

Although I never dressed up for any movie premiers or waited outside a bookstore at midnight to grab a freshly printed copy of the book, it was still quite an experience.  The community of Potter fans truly has no limits; it extends through generations, cultures, languages, etc.  These books revived adults' imaginations, resonating with their inner "wizard" that had been dormant for many years.  I guess in someways, this is reassuring... we never have to fully grow up.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

For those of us in the Muggle world, we have to wait until Halloween - the one time of year that gives adults the excuse to dress up and use their imaginations again.  For girls in particular, "Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it." (one of the best quotes from Mean Girls).  So good news girls, only 3 more months and it's socially acceptable to dress up for Halloween again!

How I miss the days of having a costume box, just for college mixers and parties every weekend.  Little secret - I still have the costume box, hidden in the back of my closet, waiting for the day when I can use the (admittedly ridiculous) clothes and accessories again.  I mean, a giant sombrero is bound to be useful at some point ...

While I may have graduated, I'm determined to hang onto some aspect of playfulness.  Just because I have a diploma in my hand, doesn't mean that I'm instantly an "adult."  Maybe I'll pretend that it's a wand...

                                                                Wingardium Leviosa!
                                                                                                 BB

No comments:

Post a Comment