Sunday, June 26, 2011

My House - My Rules

"My house - my rules" ... a very familiar phrase that I think we've all heard at least once from our parents.

While I completely respect my parents and understand that I'm going to have to "adjust" my routine... sometimes this phrase seems a bit excessive.  What really astounds me, is that most of these rules don't affect my parents at all; they seem to come from their own paranoid/nervous parental fears regarding my safety, especially my father.  Sure, I understand that fathers are more prone to be worried about their daughters... but mine is a bit too neurotic.


So there are several things that I am adamant about:

At 22, I refuse to have a curfew.  Come on, that one's a bit ridiculous.

I refuse to explain in detail, every time I go out, who I'm with, where I'm going, leave phone number, etc., I'd be happy to provide basic info, but I won't provide a detailed itinerary.

And I refuse to sooth these parental fears, because at some point, they need to realize that I've grown up.

What did my parents do when I was in college?  And had no rules! I suppose for parents it is out of sight, out of mind.  I'm afraid that if this type of housing dictatorship continues, it will actually make me revert back to teenage years.  What's next, my having to sneak out?  That certainly won't help my case every time I come back with the retort that "I'm an adult!"


For now, I will just hold my ground, continue to be confident in my opinions (or stubborn as my father calls me), and hope that I will eventually wear down my parents' will and change their minds.  I'm not going to place a bet that they will change their views any time soon (or ever), but I figure it's worth a shot.  Until I finally move out and get my own place, I have the feeling that this might be a verrry long and exhausting battle.

But I'm up for the challenge!

                                                                                          Forever Obstinate,
                                                                                                                    BB

No comments:

Post a Comment