Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Big Fish in a Small Pond...

Visiting home is always nice - you sleep in your own room, get home cooked meals, see old friends.  Even going downtown in the suburbs can be - dare I say it - fun.  You can hang out at your local independent bookstore, and grab a meal at your favorite Chinese restaurant (where you've never been able to find a better crab Rangoon).

But this "fun" only lasts for a visit, not an indefinite stay... It wears off quickly.  I've started to realize that I'm stuck in a very small pond.


It wouldn't be so bad if I could get into the city easily, but the public transportation is beyond terrible!  I have to really plan in advance if I want to go out to a bar or club in the city -  I have to coordinate with my other post-grad "boomerang" friends, figure out where I'll crash for the night, and make the journey into the city via train or bus or subway (or some combination of all 3).  So on nights when I don't feel like going through all this effort, I basically have two options:

      1. Stay at home with my parents

 Or

      2. Hangout downtown in the suburbs



Just what every 22-year old wants to do.


I'm genuinely worried that I'm becoming a Townie...  You know, those local people who bum around in their home town forever, doing nothing with their lives.  At least I acknowledge that I have a problem.  The first step to recovery is always admitting the reality of our situation, right?

An apartment would be the best solution! A cute brownstone right in the city, a bakery downstairs and a shoe store across the street... Ahh, but the small problem of having no moolah arises again... even more motivation for finding a job.  What dreams I have! 

I feel like before this happens, it's more likely that I just get a bigger fish bowl.

                                                                           The Token Townie,
                                                                                                       BB

1 comment: