Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sales are a Girl's Best Friend

For some people, the fourth of July represents a momentous day in history when we finally gained independence as a nation.  One of our most important Patriots to acknowledge from the American Revolution, Paul Revere, can be eloquently described by Sarah Palin's "definition":

"He who warned them British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms, by ringing those bells, and makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."


I couldn't have described it better myself! (I hope you note the sarcasm...)

For me however, I have a special place in my heart for the July 4th weekend, that doesn't really relate to the historical significance.  While I appreciate Paul Revere ringing his bell and warning those British (and I'll be sure to drink a beer this bbq weekend on his behalf), I'm mostly excited for the SUMMER SALES!!!

Before this weekend, I have had to sadly stare at all the beautiful new summer styles behind glass doors.  As a boomerang baccalaureate, window shopping has become a pastime.  And I'm damn good at it!



While not having money for the finer things in life can definitely build character... I would love to actually be able to purchase the items I longingly stare at.  Cute shorts, ruffly tops, adorable, jeweled sandals – the list goes on and on.  The tags showing 40% off are calling my name.  And did I mention the sun dresses in all the delicious summer colors?  It's almost too much to bear!

Window shopping used to be fun – when I had an income and money in my pocket.  It was a leisurely activity rather than a necessity... since I can't afford anything. Such a struggle.  I have never been unemployed before, so this is taking some getting used to.

And now, as I look through catalogs, browse the web, and anticipate the sales... I REALLY need to go shopping.

Let me get control of myself....  I just have to remind myself to be patient.  I will get a job (right?).  I will have an income.  I will be mature.  And now that I am a "grown-up", I will just maintain an ounce of self-control and purchase those frivolous clothes – later.  Much, much, later.  I just have to remind myself that I don't truly need anything...

Except those new gladiator sandals from Steve Madden are calling my name...

Hmmm, new game plan: I can convince my mother to take pity on me.  I just need to take her window shopping…

                                            With my Face Pressed against the Window,
                                                                                                               BB

No comments:

Post a Comment