Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Will Work for Shoes

I think that the single most common question I get every day from people is some variation of: "what are your plans post-graduation?"

Already prepared with a fake smile and enthusiastic tone, I can quickly reply: "I'm still looking...!"

The thing is, I genuinely want a job - I truly love working and being productive.  I am motivated, hard-working, and ready to work my way up the business ladder!  I'm excited at the idea of having an income, getting my own apartment, and being able to buy myself nice things.  As long as I can afford a cute pair of shoes every once in a while, I'm all set. 


The only problem is, how do I start job hunting?

It is a very overwhelming process, and my university career center was no help whatsoever.  In all honesty, it was mediocre - at best.  To give you a general idea of the career center, I will highlight a couple of my experiences there, which definitely are representative.

Resumés - probably the first thing you begin to work on in preparation for a job search.  I think it is safe to say that it is the most important aspect in a job application.  What did I receive from the career office? My resumé, supposedly edited, with typos added into the original draft that I had provided!

Interviews - the second stage to getting a job.  Yet, my university's idea of interview assistance is to simply give you a sheet entitled: "Top 10 Most Common Interview Questions."  Oh yes, I do not joke.  I wouldn't be surprised if they simply printed this out from Google.

There are no resources for job listings - they tell you to just search on Google.  If they do (for some shocking reason) provide you with a job posting, you better make sure it is up-to-date.  My friend received a job listing from the career center, and not only was the job posting 5 years old and expired, but the contact hadn't been working at the company for over 3 years.  The list of inadequacies could go on and on.

This all results in a very unprepared and panicked college grad.


I don't mean to sit here and point blame.  Obviously it is ultimately my responsibility to find a job... it would just be nice to have some sort of guidance!

So for now, I remain job-less.  But I am still plugging away, excited and determined to find my first full-time job!  On my own, I have discovered great job resources such as LinkedIn or Monster Jobs.  These are really great sites to help connect to other professionals, build your resume, and get tips/ideas for job searching.

Honestly, I am not too worried, I have a feeling that it will all work out.  I'm usually not one to believe in fate, but in this case, I think what is meant to be, will be.

And while you might call it unemployment, I think I'll take the more positive approach and look at it as a nice vacation.  I mean, it is summer time, right? A nice cold beer and a Cosmo magazine will do the trick to help me forget these woes!


                                                                                                    Cheers!
                                                                                                              BB

No comments:

Post a Comment